I grew up in Ames, Iowa: home of the Iowa State Cyclones. Any game events I attended, there were walking tacos. I assumed everyone knew what a walking taco was, until I moved to Texas. I quickly learned that nobody in the south knew what a walking taco was. “What?! You don’t know what a walking taco is?”- ALWAYS my response. I was so sad for those people because they have missed out on something amazing! So for all those who do not know: A walking taco is when any/all the taco fixings you want are added to a bag of Dorito’s or Frito’s and you can “walk” away with it.
Tacos at Home:
I love the concept of walking tacos for at home, quick dinner ideas because I am able to :
- Make multiple meals from the meat to use for soft shells or walking tacos (it helps to not eat the same meal every night of the week with a small family at home).
- This meal choice is simple to make
- Clean up is simple
- Who doesn’t love tacos?
- Family & Friends are guaranteed to love your meal choice!
What more could you ask for when looking for a simple dinner at home for the family?
Tacos for Events:
A walking taco bar is one of the greatest inventions that makes everyone happy. I love the concept of walking tacos for events for the following reasons:
- It’s simple and takes very little preparation.
- You are able to visit with guests while eating.
- It’s little to no clean up. After the party, you can relax after stressing with getting ready for the event (the house included)!
- The walking tacos aren’t messy, especially important for kid’s (if invited), or those adults who come and act like kids (we all have some of those friends).
- It allows for options: we’re all a little bit picky, whether we admit it or not.
What more could you ask for when hosting a party?
When at home, making meals for your family, we all know the toppings our family members want in their tacos. However, what if you’re planning a party. What should you include for toppings? I love having parties. However, I also love keeping it simple! Going overboard makes guests think you are just trying to show off. Going way to thin on items makes it look like you didn’t prepare. Even if you run out of items, at least you’ll have a variety of items showing you were trying to accommodate everyone.
Items to Include in your Taco Bar:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Tomatoes
Looking for a little more variety? Maybe you could add these items:
- Black olives
- Diced onions (yellow, sweet or red)
- Add a second meat (chicken? or ground turkey?)
- Diced Peppers (yellow, green or red)
Readers, what are your favorite ingredients to put in a walking taco?
Other favorites for any events with your taco’s:
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Bites